Documents

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 2299 2300 2301 2302 2303 2304 2305 2306 2307 ... 2595» Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...





St Swithun Church, Hinton Parva (Little Hinton), Wiltshire, England

The Parish Church of St. Swithun

Hinton, Little (high farm) is a downland village with fine views to the north over the Vale of the White Horse. The church (St Swithun) has a Norman nave and decorated chancel with a low perpendicular tower. it possesses one of the most remarkable Norman fonts in the county; it is richly carved with architectural ornamentation, and includes a beast, a snake, birds and fish. note also the old parish chest and royal arms (G.R. 1789), including the arms of France and Hanover, over the tower arch. There is also a Jacobean pulpit; a panel fixed to an adjoining pew states that it was a gift of Martha Hinton in 1637. [source: The Little Guide, Methuen 1949]


Owner/SourceWiltshire On Line Parish Clerks
Date2002
File nameSt Swithun Hinton Parva (Little Hinton) Wiltshire England-1.jpg
File Size524.9k
Dimensions1415 x 1050
Linked toFamily: Waite/Gingell (F3890) (Marriage Banns)

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 2299 2300 2301 2302 2303 2304 2305 2306 2307 ... 2595» Next»     » Slide Show




Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources